angkinabuhi

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Family Court Hearing: A Reflection


The family is the basic unit of society. It is the foundation of one’s being and what he becomes as an adult. Witnessing a family court hearing was one way of showing me what it’s like in the real world. It was my first time to attend and be able to get inside a court room. I was keen enough to observe and listen to what the lawyers and respondents were saying. I was astonished about the case that I witnessed because the issue was a wife asking for a protection order against her husband. Well, why would she do that? A cross examination took place despite the absence of the respondent. A couple of questions were asked. The witness would answer in a collected manner even though a few of them were quite too personal. She was reiterating what her husband has done to the family for several years and how he has made her life restless. I wondered why she would file a case now, where in fact it happened nine years ago. Why now? If you value the family, why would someone want to imprison the person she promised to spend the rest of her life with? Why ruin the relationship of the family? That’s the irony of things; people can be ridiculous when they’re taken over by their emotions. I just don’t understand why couples who vow to take care of each other would only break up in the end. If the marriage can be saved and things can still be settled, then talk it over. Open communication is important in every relationship, it is essential in putting back together the shattered promises. Take into account the benefit of your children; they would suffer twice the pain that both parents feel. Well, you wouldn’t want to do that.
After a while the witness was hysterical. She was crying and was pointing her finger to the lawyer who was a resemblance of her hated husband. Everybody was laughing and joking around. But as I paid attention to her, listened to her sentiments and all her reasons; I saw my mother’s eyes in her. Everything that had happened about my parents’ separation flashed back. A memory that I never wanted to think about just came through me. Unknowingly, I was bothered and saddened by her story. I saw in the witness’ eyes the pain and the hurt that my mother felt when my father went away. It was moving and heart throbbing. It took a while for me to get back on what was happening inside the court room.

I’ve always wanted to become a lawyer. I wanted to uphold truth, justice and love. When my father left us seventeen years ago, I hated him so much that I told myself; someday I’m going to make his life miserable. I’m gonna let him pay for all the pain that he brought to the family especially to my mother, sue him for abandonment and incarcerate him for life. I thought that becoming a lawyer was the only way to make everything fair enough for us because I felt so left out and betrayed. I realized that revenge is not the answer to diminish the pain that I felt. Despite of it all, I love my father and I care so much about him. He’s the only man that I’ve ever loved in my entire life and it breaks my heart to see him suffer. I have forgiven him a long time ago.
It made me realize that I still want to become a lawyer after all, not because I hated my father but because it is my desire to uplift truth, justice and love. My father has always dreamt of me becoming a prominent lawyer and I want him to be proud of me someday.

I believe that every one of us wouldn’t want to see their families get hurt. Each of us dreams of having a family living harmoniously and peacefully where one finds comfort, acceptance and love. We aspire to live a blissful life, put up a family that we can call a home. With everything that the world offers, it would be us who decides what we become in the end. We are endowed with freewill, and we should live out according to what this world needs, as to what is essential in this life.
posted by angkinabuhi at 9:42 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home