angkinabuhi

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A research adventure






I have always dreamed of flying. I wanted to see the beauty of nature from a bird's eye view and explore the wonders of the earth. On December break, I was asked to partake in a school research about ARSP (agrarian reform support project) to a few upland communities in Negros occidental. When I first knew about it, I was really excited. The fact that i am going to ride on a plane for the first time, it will surely make my trip a more exciting one.

The weather was not that friendly, I thought there was a typhoon since it was raining very hard. There was zero visibility as what the pilot said. it was a bumpy ride, but I enjoyed it the way I enjoy a roller coaster ride. as i peep through the window, it seems as if I am looking at the world through Google earth. Funny though because I felt like I’m in heaven when I see nothing but white. I told myself "this is the life I've always dreamed of, at peace with the world and myself." it supposed to be a twenty minute ride but we arrived at the airport almost an hour. Well, thank goodness we arrived safe and sound because a few of the passengers were pretty scared. Their faces looked blank, their eyes wandering through the clouds. If I could read their minds their probably asking,”will we make it to Bacolod?” I made a grin and talked to myself again- “this is going to be an adventure I’ll never forget, Negros here I come!”
I thought I was gonna flew off with the umbrella as the wind blew me away when if first took a step at the airport. What a relief! I saw people welcoming me with a smile even if they were not smiling at me. We headed straight to silay as if shared my amusing story with my teacher. I bet she was mesmerized by the thought that I was having a great time in a quite scary flight. We discussed about the places to go, what to do and what not to do. I was listening, nodding my head as to what she was saying but honestly, my mind was wandering. I can't wait to go to the mountain barangays and see the hidden beauty of nature from my view. As I was busy talking and looking at the green scenery, I’ve come up with a title not about the research but of my great adventure there. And I called it, my Negros escapade.
San Carlos city was our first stop. It’s not the typical city as I expected it to be- calm and quiet. it looks as if I’m in my hometown in liloan. We finally met marriane, a student I’ll be working with the faculty research. Well, it was my first time to work with someone whom I hardly know. Yet, I was amazed by how both our personalities collided. I not just met a student, but I met a wonderful friend in her. The whole adventure was a venue for us to get to know each other well. Since then on, I call her Jollibee baby because she doesn't get tired of dining at that food chain. I also met kuya nelson who was kind enough to drive us throughout our trip.

The weather was not a hindrance for us to do the research. It even made the trip more challenging. Unfortunately, we were not able to go to brgy. puey. It flooded in the area and we might end up floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Since there are many agrarian reform communities in San Carlos city, we got a couple of options- brgy bagonbon and codcod are two of the barangays having benefited from the agrarian support project. However, the rain even got worse, so we headed back to San Carlos city and stayed at our teacher's place. In fact, her family was accommodating and heartwarming. Her father reminded us to be careful since insurgency is present in the upland communities of San Carlos city. Why should I be afraid? As a matter of fact, I’m one of their kind. (hahaha)

The following day, we planned out where to go. brgy bagonbon was first on our list. We had a two hour ride on a rough and rugged road. When we got there, we interviewed a few officials since the brgy. Captain was in the city. I could feel the cool breeze embracing me along with the smell of fried fish early in the morning. We took a few pictures of the area for documentation as well. Afterwards, we headed to our next stop- brgy. codcod. Along the way, I have realized that despite the project's vision of a transformed agrarian reform community, the program has not achieved its purpose. On brgy. bagonbon's case, the agrarian reform beneficiaries are left nothing with a broken vow; broken promise of a productive and fertile land. Until now, they have not received land titles and they do not even have a registered people's organization. What surprised me was the kind of life that the folks lived by- a life of simplicity and contentment where they are able to smile despite a hard day's work in the farmland.

On the other hand, brgy codcod has a different story. On our way there, the beautiful mountains and terraces amazed me. I saw a few people walking on barefoot with logs in their heads, a man enjoying his ride on a carabao, two lovely old couple cutting the weeds and children soaking wet in the river- with adorable smiles tattooed on their faces. The cool breeze warms my heart with calmness and serenity where I’m able to find solace. This is nature at its best that definitely astonished a young lad like me. Just imagine how wonderful life can be if spent with appreciation and solitude. Amazing, huh...
brgy. codcod is one of the remarkable places I’ve been to. The climate is freezing cold-just imagine yourself locked in a fridge for a day. The land is fertile and as such, they have plenty of agricultural products present in the area. We were able to obtain pertinent data relevant for our research. The councilors were really friendly and they allowed us to have a little tour around barangay codcod. They showcased their farm equipments that were provided by the project years ago as well as the products abundant in the area. They have well managed the infrastructures that they have received and took the effort of continuing the project's objective. Well, if not of the ARBs initiative and desire to uplift their situation, they would not reach that far. They continue to adhere in implementing the program that was left at hand.

When I was a child, I wondered how soft the clouds can be. Well I’ve realized that clouds are not what it seems to be. We think too much about how to help people who are in need and find ways of providing programs and services that could benefit them. We envision a future full of hope and optimism, yet we hardly realize that we're unable to put into action what we truly aim for. We end up losing control and ignoring what seems to be the issue. Security of land tenure is what all farmers dream of. They have worked hard enough to till the land they are occupying and momentarily, able to own it. For more than fifteen years of the project's establishment, it seems to me that it never existed at all. They started it but, never took time of assessing nor monitoring the project's shortcomings. As for me, the government took them for granted. its just the usual scenario that I have observed with people in the government trying hard to provide services to the marginalized sector of society. “Well, are they?” probably, fifteen years is not enough to fulfill their vision, they probably need more ample time for us to see what they can do.

I could say that we all live in different environments in different situations and both barangays allowed us to see two different worlds apart from the world that we were born with.

posted by angkinabuhi at 9:56 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home