angkinabuhi

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

“Why I love SWU, Let me count the Ways”











As I look up the sky, watched the clouds glaze upon me and breathed fresh breezy air, I wondered if I’d last another semester here. Would I make it that far?

It was three years ago when I first took a step in Southwestern University’s territory. I could still remember my first day in class when I sat at the farthest chair without a paper or a pen. I was just staring at everyone’s face, with a mind as blank as a wall. I was hesitant to interact and mingle with new faces. I hardly talk to the person next to me. I kept asking myself if I’ve decided the right thing- if I’ve chosen the right path. Adapting to a new environment was definitely tough. The fact that a university is a whole lot different from my former school, I certainly was overwhelmed by fear. I was moved away by my narrow-mindedness, by my indifference. I ended up getting myself into a big mess. Unfortunately, my student life came to a poignant ending.

Three years was long enough for me to find what I really wanted in life. It was a learning experience that made me realize the significance of thinking about the future and moving on with the past. Coming back was not an easy thing. It took me countless sleepless nights to decide on getting back to school. At the back of my head, I feared that I might not be accepted at all. Well, I took the brave stride of stepping back again in SWU’s grounds. With just a welcoming smile from the CAS secretary, my heart was filled with gladness. A smile reassured me that my future is safe here. It’s just so amazing how people make you feel blissful and warm as if you never even left. I told myself that I will make it till the end of the school year. Besides, I only got a few more days to go before classes end. I will indeed miss out the long tiring walk from AS building towards ABA for my next class. Who wouldn’t forget the crowded EDP and accounts section during exam week with frowns and grins tattooed on impatient students’ faces, waiting in line to pay their tuition fees? What about the enjoyment of shouting and cheering in support of our respective departments during Siglakas’ fun filled activities? I bet you’d get irritated at times with the thumping of the ground when Maritime students march down the hallway. But it sure is fun looking at them as synchronized as they could be in every move they make. I would miss the queasiness that I feel as I hop in on the elevator along with kuya who has been so kind to get all students to where they wanted. I’d miss hanging out at the eerie restroom on 7th floor that scares the hell out of me while spending time chitchatting with friends. And of course, I’ll always cherish the moment of sipping hot noodle that warms my tummy right after a stressful class on a rainy day; the leaves that fall upon my delicate face as I walk right across Ucafe. It does feels like springtime in June. I adore the steady balete tree that has lived for years. Its calming branches shelter the cramming diligent students on finals week. I will always be grateful with the friendships I’ve gained that taught me how to appreciate life more. What I admire about it is that whatever color, social class, religion or race you come from, SWU offers equal opportunities to all students. Above all, the greatest thing that I learned is to value people. Despite the things I’ve done there are people willing to support and accept me for the person that I am. Beyond doubt, it inspired me to do better the second time.

I returned, and I stayed. One school year might sound too short for me, but my whole experience here is truly remarkable. I’m proud to say that Southwestern University helped me find myself. This haven made me whole again. I was able to find my dreams and got myself back on track. Vince Lombardi once said that “a man can be as great as he wants to be. If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." Needless to say, it doesn’t matter if you’ve made a mess out of your life. It doesn’t matter if you have ceased to keep time from ticking for a moment. It doesn’t matter if in a few chapters of your life, you gave up and stopped the world from turning. What matters is you learned from your mistake and you’re decisive to mend things and do better the second time around. It is giving the best out of what you got and believing that you can make a change. School is sweeter the second time around I guess. But one thing is for sure, I am committed to excel and I found that commitment here. Well, why do I love Southwestern University? I believe I don’t need to count the ways. Uncover it yourself and be captivated…

posted by angkinabuhi at 9:47 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home